Friday, February 23, 2018

Double Post Sunday: Post-1: The Sunday Haul (on 18-02-2018)

Quite often I find myself all alone at Abids when my usual friends do not turn up for our Sunday morning ritual. On such occasions I’m a bit disappointed but it helps me to look at the titles on display on the pavements without much distraction. The first title I found was a nice copy of ‘Meals with Vegetables’ published by the Radhasaomi Satsang Beas organisation. Though it had recipes of all sorts of dishes from all over the world there were some recipes of Indian dishes too. It was too good let go and so I bought it for seventy rupees which was a bit on the higher side.
The next find too was another cookbook that I spotted in a heap of books selling for twenty rupees. I saw a tattered copy of ‘Pure Vegetarian Indian Cookery’ by Pritam Uberoi. Leafing through it I found a few interesting recipes which I thought I would want to try out someday when the missus would let me enter the kitchen.
Then in another heap of books selling for only twenty rupees I saw a nice copy of ‘A Touch of Danger’ by James Jones. Now I haven’t yet read anything by James Jones though there is a copy of his ‘From Here to Eternity’ that I look at now and then and balk at reading such a thick tome. I thought this smaller book would be a good way to get started on James Jones and what’s more it was a thriller so I picked it up.
After finishing at Abids I stopped at Chikkadpally on the way home and right away spotted a copy of ’84, Charing Cross Road’ by Helene Hanff that had a cover different from the covers of the three copies I had at home. This would be my fourth copy and I bought it since I was getting it for only thirty rupees. It was a Penguin edition and had such a lovely cover you could say I bought it for the cover alone.

No comments: