Monday, January 29, 2018

The Hyderabad Book Fair Haul- Day 3

Not quite content with the ten titles I picked up at the Hyderabad Book Fair on my two visits I went there again on the fourth day. There were several stores I hadn’t looked in so in the short time I had before the fair closed for the day I managed to look at two stalls, carefully combing through the racks I found two good titles. I spotted a nice copy of ‘Collected Short Stories’ by Kingsley Amis. There’s an interesting introduction by Amis in this along with the following sixteen stories:

My Enemy’s Enemy; Court of Enquiry; I Spy Strangers; Moral Fibre; All the Blood Within Me; Dear Illusion; Something Strange; The 2003 Claret; The Friends of Plonk; Too Much Trouble; Hemingway in Space; Who or What Was It?; The Darkwater Hall Mystery; The House on the Headland; To See the Sun; and Mason’s Life
Then in a stall I had already been to and picked up several titles I was surprised to find another title that I love-‘The Groaning Shelf’ by Pradeep Sebastian. I do not know how I had missed this title on my previous visits but I thanked the heavens for having found it. I know I already have two copies of this same title but this was a used copy but it didn’t look like it because it was so pristine and almost new. I would have been stupid not to have bought it and so picked it up. I got both these books for three hundred rupees.

1 comment:

Clamourous said...

A very nice haul. Read about all 4 days at one go...have never heard of most of them. I only know Nora Ephron's books. It is really nice to see these titles. If possible, will try and find a few of them and read...I miss the annual Bookfair in Hyderabad. A similar one used to be present in B'lore until a few years back but has been discontinued for the past 3 years