Friday, January 26, 2018

The 31st Hyderabad Book Fair Haul- Day 2


Not content with the haul of five books I made on my visit to the book fair on the first day I went again the next day.
A long time ago I had read a review of Veena Venugopal’s ‘Would You Like Some Bread with that Book?’ but managed to get it only a year ago. It is a slim title containing about a dozen delightful essays on books and reading. If you love books and reading then you have to get hold of this book and read it and feel good. I then got to know that Veena Venugopal (until recently editor of ‘Blink’ the Saturday supplement of Business Line) had written another book- ‘The Mother-in-Law’ that I forgot about. At one stall in the book fair I came across a copy of ‘The Mother-in-Law’, a Penguin title. In the same stall I also saw a nice copy of ‘On a Clear Day You can See India’ by C. Balagopal that a friend had told me I should read and so I took both these books.
In another stall there was an offer of three titles for a hundred rupees. The first title I saw in that heap was a copy of ‘Woman in the Dark’ by Dashiell Hammett that I did not have. I was thrilled to find another Hammett title but I had to find two more titles. Then I saw a copy of ‘Atlas of Impossible Longing’ by Anuradha Roy that I already have but nevertheless decided to hold it until I found another title to replace it. I couldn’t find anything else and so to make up for the third book I picked up a copy of ‘Somebody Owes Me Money’ by Donald E. Westlake that appeared like a thriller.
So these were the five books I found at the 31st Hyderabad National Book Fair on my second visit on the second day of the fair. I still haven’t covered all the second hand book stall in the fair completely so it meant that I had to make a couple more visits.

No comments: