Friday, October 13, 2017

The Sunday Haul (on 08-10-2017)


Since the past ten days or so Hyderabad has been drenched and soaked so much that it has become a wet rag. Almost every day it is raining and quite heavily at that. The heavy rains and the flooding it is causing is making the IT crowd in Madhapur crib like anything. Now they are getting a taste of what the rest of the city goes through whenever there is a heavy downpour. Last week the weather forecast said that it would rain on Sunday too. The forecast of rain on Sunday dampened my spirits because if it rained then I would have to stay home and miss the visit to Abids.

It did rain on Sunday but only after I’ve been halfway through my visit at Abids. There was a heavy downpour that lasted about half hour and left the roads flooded and also caught the booksellers unawares. However by then I had already picked up a book, the only book that made up the haul last Sunday.
I cannot resist a book on writing that I see. I am yet to get over the impression that reading books on writing will help me writer better so I scoop up anything I find about writing. The haul last Sunday at Abids was a book on writing that caught my eye in a lane. It was ‘The Art of Writing’ that had a very attractive cover with a picture of a flash of lightning over a lake by the mountainside. Inside I read that it was by Cosmo F. Ferrara published by Random House School Division, New York. It was an academic book on writing aimed at high school students but when I went through the contents and read a few random paragraphs I found it to be quite interesting. So I picked it up for a hundred rupees.
I decided to return home after the rain cleared a bit disappointed that I couldn’t check out more than half the sellers but glad that I bought a nice book.

No comments: