Friday, July 24, 2015

The Sunday Haul (on 19-07-2015)

Occasionally the haul consists entirely of titles belonging to one specific genre. Last Sunday at Abids out of my haul of three books two were short story collections. I am always in search of good short story collections and last Sunday I was happy to find a collection of stories by various writers such as Katherine Mansfield, William Faulkner, Ted Hughes and other well known names including two or three names I am not familiar with.
The first book I picked up was a collection of short stories titled ‘Modern Short Stories’ edited by Jim Hunter. I bought this book for only thirty rupees.

This nice title has the following fifteen stories:
The Peaches by Dylan Thomas
The Wedge-Tailed Eagle by Geoffrey Dutton
Her First Ball by Katherine Mansfield
Ha’penny by Alan Paton
The Rain Horse by Ted Hughes
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty by James Thurber
The Road by James Hanley
Growing Up by Joyce Carey
Lie Thee Down, Oddity by T.F.Powys
Samphire by Patrick OBrian
Tickets, Please by D.H.Lawrence
Indian Camp by Ernest Hemingway
The Ice Palace by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Go Down, Moses by William Faulkner
The Wharf by Walter De La Mare
The other short story collection I found shortly afterwards was ‘The Matisse Stories’ by A.S. Byatt that I got for only fifty rupees. The book is in a wonderful condition and looks quite new. It has a signature and a date 20 April 95 which means that it is twenty years old. But it looks quite new. It has only three stories: Medusa’s Ankles, Art Work, and The Chinese Lobster.
The third and last book in the haul was by a writer I like immensely for the way he writes. I found ‘My Years with BOSS at Gemini Studios’ by Ashokamitran. It is a slim volume, as all his books are, with just forty four pages. I got this for only twenty rupees. It was a great find I guess.

No comments: